This course will teach you to use return and risk measurement techniques to make optimal investment choices, whether you work in a hedge fund, bank, insurance company, pension fund, or asset management company.
Course Author: Prof. Luis Seco, PhD
Who should take this course?
You are an investment analyst, risk analyst, or portfolio manager who wants to grow their career, or you are a student aspiring to build a career in the investment management industry.
What’s the minimum skill level necessary?
A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, or Mathematics. Basic competency in mathematics and intermediate-level experience with Excel spreadsheets.
How long do I have to complete this course?
You will have access to course content for 365 days from enrollment date and can choose to complete the course at any time during this period.
English, Chinese (Simplified)
Audio-Visual Content and Duration:
- The time that it takes to complete the course will be determined by your desired pace. It’s estimated that you will spend a total of 7 hours to complete the course.
- The total viewing time of lesson presentations is approximately 2 hours; individual lesson topics are between 5-10 minutes each, presented as audio-visual content.
- The time needed to complete each exercise presented is between 10-20 minutes, based on your level of engagement.
- The final exam is allocated 1.5 hours.
- Completion of the course assignment (offline) is expected to take 2-3 hours.
Audio narration provided by Optimal MRM
Subtitles: English, Chinese (Simplified)
- The exercises presented in lessons are provided in a downloadable Excel spreadsheet. This will enable you to practice the exercises, side-by-side with the lesson presentations.
- A final exam is administered online and is comprised of questions in the form of true/false, multiple choice, sorting choice, and fill in the blank.
- A personalized certificate signed by Professor Luis Seco will be issued to you with a minimum exam score of 70%.
Sylvie Shi –
Great introductory course on investment risks. It will be particularly interesting and useful for people who are not familiar with this field to understand the risks they are exposed to. The course included some classic examples in this field, with easy-to-understand visuals. Excel exercises that came along with the lessons are very easy to follow. It would be nice if more of those exercises were included so that students can reinforce their learning. I would recommend this course to audiences with limited exposure to the financial industry but are keen to learn some of the fundamental concepts.
Debu Banerjea –
Excellent course material. Provides a comprehensive outlook into risk management tools and techniques. Easy to follow. Great illustrations to reinforce difficult concepts. The excel workbook are an added bonus to put theory to practice.
I have no doubt in recommending this course to the students of risk management and industry leaders, like me, in learning new relevant skills at this challenging financial time.
Amber Qian –
The visual illustrations in the course videos simplify tons of complicated terms and definitions, giving valuable chances to learners with some or zero financial background for informative yet fun exploration. The course focuses on Portfolio Management and Investment Risk, opening up a broader view how the mechanics work, while going into details such as investment strategies and arbitrage trading. For sure I benefited a lot from learning the course, with not only the explanations from the lecture and PDF, but also the hands-on practice from the Excel sheets provided. Highly recommended!
Monica Wang –
I found this Investment Risk e-learning course excellent on many fronts. It provides a solid review of risk management tools & tactics, and examination of key challenges managing investment risk in financial institutions. The excel exercises in each chapter extend visual illustrations, turning theory into practice. This is one of the best investment risk online courses I’ve taken so far.
Pascal Alonzo –
One of the better elearning courses available in the market on investment risk.
The exercises in Excel were extremely helpful.
Milo Rado –
Course design and animations are really good. Complex concepts are explained in a simple and intuitive way. The guided excel exercises helped me better understand investment risk in the real world. Overall great learning tool !